Seven of the 10 most popular dates for getting engaged are around the holiday season. Thinking of popping the question? Here are the top five proposal questions you have, answered.
1. How do I choose a ring that she’ll like?If she hasn’t dropped any hints or shown you ring designs she likes, then start by considering her typical wardrobe. Is she clean cut and classic? Fashion-forward and edgy? Boho and artistic? Try to choose a few words to describe her look. Match the look and feel of the ring to her style. Need some help? Try out our style-finder guide.
2. How do I figure out her ring size?There are a few ways to find out what size her ring should be, without letting on that a proposal is coming up. Your best bet is to recruit one of her friends or her sister to help out. If you need more tricks, check out our advice on finding her ring size without ruining the surprise.
3. How early in advance should I order the ring?The earlier, the better, especially when it comes to holiday season proposals. Most styles are available through November, but since we make all of our rings by hand, the more intricate rings may not be ready in time if you wait to order until November. Play it safe, and order as soon as you’ve found the right ring.
4. How much does an engagement ring cost?The old “advice” of spending two or three month’s salary on a ring is bogus. (Truly! It was made up by an advertising agency to get people to spend more on engagement rings.) The true answer to this question is that you should spend as much as you are comfortable spending on an engagement ring. Rings with Nexus Diamond alternatives are typically much less expensive than those with mined diamonds, so you should be able to find the perfect ring without sacrificing financial security.
5. How should I ask?This is a deeply personal question that we can’t answer for you. However, we can offer some guidelines on what to do (and what to avoid). DO: Choose a location that is meaningful to you as a couple. Popular choices are the restaurant where you went on your first dinner date or an iconic landmark. DON’T: Hide the ring in food or drink. It might seem romantic, but trust us, it just makes the ring messy for the moment you slide it onto her hand. DO: Plan what you want to say. You’re going to be nervous and all the emotions of the day can muddle anyone’s mind! Having an outline of what you want to say will make everything go more smoothly. DON’T: Sweat the small stuff. The most important thing is that you are asking your partner to start your lives together. It’s a celebration!
If you need help choosing a style or stone, get in touch with us and we can help. And be sure to show us the result of your holiday proposal by tagging @diamondnexus on social media!