Engagement rings come in a variety of different styles—from vintage to unique and everything in between. While each person will prefer a different design depending on their everyday style, there are some clear benefits of choosing an engagement ring with unique details. Unique engagement rings are a good choice for those who enjoy things that stand out from the mundane. Anything from a pop of color, a simulated lab created diamond, to an abundance of sparkle can separate a classic style from a unique one. Although these flashy details can be exciting, it’s also important to choose a design that will be comfortable enough to wear every day.
Most unique engagement rings, although one-of-a-kind, often share similar design elements. This includes modern stone cuts, extravagant metalwork or a new take on a classic style such as an emerald cut engagement ring. No matter if an engagement ring features one or all of these details, it is sure to be the most unique ring in the room. Before you decide which style you’re looking for in an engagement ring, it’s important to know the elements that make up unique designs. Once you have at least a few unique engagement ring ideas, you’ll be on your way to choosing the perfect one.
About Engagement Rings
An engagement ring is an extremely meaningful adornment, which is why so much time and thought is put into choosing the perfect one. There are so many different choices and styles to sift through that it can become a complex journey learning how to shop for a colored gemstone or diamond engagement ring. An easy way to filter down your options is to first decide which unique ring style you’re opting for. Once you choose the right style, you can then move on to other details like the stone and metal type to create your perfect ring.
There are many engagement ring styles and different types of engagement ring settings—such as classic and vintage which are of the most popular. While you may see an abundance of these popular styles, there are many more to choose from. Each ring design and style not only differs in visual appearance, but some also carry different meanings. Learn about each of the most popular styles before deciding on one.
- Classic: The best part about classic engagement rings is that they are timeless in design. This means they can be worn for years to come as the never age out of style. These types of rings are usually simple when it comes to details. They may feature an unadorned band or a traditional center stone shape like Round Brilliant. Since they never go out of style, they can be a stunning family heirloom if you plan to hand it down to the next generation. Although, something to keep in mind with this style of engagement ring is that it won’t have a personal nod to your relationship and won’t be one-of-a-kind. If timelessness means more to you than uniqueness, then a classic engagement ring might be the right choice for you.
- Unique: Those that love clothing, décor and jewelry that is unlike all the rest will love a unique engagement ring style. Unique styles are commonly seen with more unusual center stone shapes and intricate metalwork. You can get very creative while shopping or designing this type of ring, and because of that, many creative minds are drawn to them. While they won’t look like any of the mainstream rings you might see on celebrities, they can be incredibly personal and sentimental.
- Vintage: If you’re an old soul when it comes to fashion, a vintage engagement ring might be the perfect style for you. Vintage rings honor past trends while giving a nod to modern style. These designs usually feature a warm metal color- such as yellow or rose gold- and dainty accents. Popular center stone cuts include Emerald, Asscher and Oval wedding rings, but can be seen in a range of different shapes depending on the design elements.
- Glam: The more sparkle, the better. Glamorous engagement rings often sparkle from across the room. Halos, accents, double bands and so many more design aspects fall under this category because their luster goes on and on. If we’re being honest, a lot of women choose a ring that’s focused on sparkle, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right style for everyone. If you’re more reserved when it comes to fashion, then this style might not be right for you as it will be a crucial part of your wardrobe, every day.
Unique Engagement Ring Ideas
While engagement rings come in a variety of dazzling styles, there’s no doubt that unique styles are one of the most personal and eye-catching of them all. Since every design will be one-of-a-kind, or close to it, each ring will look differently. Unique can mean anything from a color not often seen or metalwork that gives a nod to your personal story. Here are some design features to keep in mind when searching for the perfect unique engagement ring.
- Colored Stones: One of the most distinct details featured in some unique designs is colored diamonds and stones. This could include emeralds, rubies, sapphires, blue topaz or any type of birthstone. Not only are the colors captivating in themselves, but they can create a very personalized design for the wearer. Common styles that include colored gemstone details are three stone rings with a colorless stone at center flanked by two colored side stones, or a stunning ring with dainty colored accents. No matter how you choose to wear them, they will add unique details to your ring.
- Peekaboo Accents: As their name suggests, peekaboo accents are hidden on the profile or underneath the setting of the ring. While they can sometimes be seen from up above at an angle, they are usually meant for the wearer instead of the viewer. Not many brides consider this part of their ring design, but you will most often be viewing the side of your ring rather than from a bird’s eye view. So, adding unique details to the profile of your ring will give you more to admire on an everyday basis.
- Intricate Metalwork: One of the most creative parts of engagement rings is metalwork- or at least it can be. While some designs may be on the simpler side, others may feature natural influences like leaves or scrollwork. This is an easy way to include a nod to your favorite things in life. Add your family crest or your favorite flower to the shank of your ring to carry it with you every day. These details, while they may be small, can remind you of what’s important to you as you will look at it every day.
- Claw Prongs: A simple but unique element to incorporate is claw prongs. Steering away from a traditional ring setting can add character to your diamond ring. Whether you choose single, double or even triple, these small details can give your ring a totally new look. Although they have become increasingly popular, they can be crafted in a unique way that allows them to look different than common rings. This can be achieved by choosing a nontraditional center stone to showcase them on, or playing around with metal color. Choose a two-toned look to enhance their appearance and make them stand out, or let them blend into your ring to give them a subtle look.
- Twisted Shank: A modern detail that gives any design a unique twist is a woven or twisted shank. While it’s simpler than intricate metalwork, it still adds a little extra detail to the shank. While common designs feature accents on the shank, a twisted shank will set it apart from the rest as well as enhance the durability.
- Distinct Stone Shapes: The easiest way to create a unique look is to choose a unique stone shape. The center stone is the focal point people tend to look at, so if you go with a classic shape then it may cause your entire ring to look traditional. Shapes like Emerald, Marquise and Trillion create an elongated effect and may even appear larger than a classic Round Brilliant. If you decide to get really specific with shape, some jewelers that offer man made stones may also offer a variety of different facet patterns to choose from. While this is quite rare, it would allow you to transform a normal shape into a completely unique design as it will emit light and appear differently.
How to Make an Engagement Ring Unique
While choosing any of the styles listed above will provide you with a beautiful and unique engagement ring, it may be challenging to find a design that incorporates everything you want. Even if you broaden your selection by using multiple jewelers, they might not have that perfect one. A solution to this is to design your own wedding ring to meet your specifications perfectly.
Although it may sound like it takes a lot of time, effort and money, that’s not necessarily the case when it comes to creating the perfect ring. Custom design is becoming more and more common, and because of that, companies are lowering their prices to compete with one another. Along with custom design not necessarily costing more than what you would normally pay for a ring, it also allows a one-on-one experience with a designer. For example, our design studio Forever Artisans connects you with a design consultant that guides you through the entire process. You can also request a quote for free before beginning your custom engagement ring design to make sure it aligns with your allotted budget. This way, you can be sure your wedding ring includes all of the important details you want your engagement ring to have to make it uniquely you.
Top 12 Unique Engagement Rings
If you’re looking for the most unique and perfect engagement ring, look no further. Our top 12 unique engagement rings are not only affordable, but they’re unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. From the sparkle to the metalwork, they’re completely one-of-a-kind. With our collection of diamond and gemstone engagement rings, we make it easy for you to find your own ring that reflects your personality and style. Here are our top engagement rings to consider for your big purchase. Choose from princess cut engagement rings to classic halo engagement rings and more.
1. Nouveau Engagement Ring | 2. Beaded Band Princess Cut Engagement Ring
3. East-West Trellis Accented Trillion Cut Engagement Ring | 4. Twisted Accented Emerald Cut Engagement Ring
5. Three Stone Halo Engagement Ring | 6. Timeless Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
7. Tuscany Pear Cut Engagement Ring | 8. Sestina Engagement Ring
9. Barcelona Marquise Cut Engagement Ring | 10. Sedona Classic Engagement Ring
11. Three Stone Accented Oval Cut Engagement Ring | 12. Vienna Round Cut Engagement Ring
*Diamond Nexus strives to provide valuable information, while being clear and honest about our products. The Nexus Diamond™ alternative is a patented lab grown stone that, among all simulants, most closely imitates the look, weight and wear of a mined diamond, with two exceptions – it is absolutely perfect in every way, and it costs significantly less. Price points and environmental facts expressed in this blog were taken from popular online retailers and may vary. Learn more about the environmental impact of mining by visiting our blog.