A moissanite ring can shimmer with the vibrancy of a thousand stars, turning heads and dazzling rooms wherever you go. But what if your ring has lost its luster, specks of dirt, dust, and grime blotting out its brilliance? Fortunately, we’ve got some good news: with some helpful tips on how to clean moissanite ring, you can return your jewelry to its gleaming glory. Follow these four cleaning tips to make your moissanite engagement ring or jewelry sparkles like new—and your look as elegant as ever.
In the same vein, if you’re looking for the best moissanite engagement rings that maintain their sparkle and brilliance even after regular wear, we have a range of options that might interest you. Each ring is meticulously crafted to ensure lasting beauty and elegance.
Given the unique moissanite symbolism, it’s important to handle the gemstone with care.
1. Clean Your Moissanite Ring At Home
As with any other precious gemstone, moissanite jewelry care is essential to keeping them looking as new as the day you got them. And every gemstone is different, so it’s important to take into consideration the differences between moissanite and diamond. While both are durable and resistant to scratches, moissanite may require more frequent cleaning due to its higher refractive index, which can attract oils and dirt. If you wear your ring often, you may want to clean your moissanite ring at least once a month. An at-home cleaning method can help you keep your moissanite ring sparkling for regular wear.
Like natural diamonds, moissanite’s toughness makes it amenable to some surprisingly accessible cleaning methods. To properly clean your ring at home, you can detail your moissanite jewelry using a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Let’s delve deeper into each option:
Cleanse Your Moissanite Ring with Soap and Water
When it comes to moissanite wedding bands, rings and other jewelry care, it’s important to avoid harsh chemicals that can damage the moissanite stone. Besides, you won’t believe how easy it is to clean moissanite jewelry at home.
It might seem too good to be true, but two of the same ingredients you use to clean many other items can also help restore your moissanite ring. Yes, we’re talking about the tried-and-true combination of soap and water.
To clean your Moissanite ring at home using soap and water, follow these simple steps
- Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water. You don’t have to fill the bowl up to the top—just add enough water to cover the ring.
- Add a few drops of mild soap to the water. To be on the safe side, opt for a soap with natural ingredients and few chemicals.
- Submerge your ring in the water for ten minutes. This allows the water to loosen up stubborn bits of dirt and grime.
- Gently scrub your ring with a soft toothbrush or soft cloth. You may want to use a toothbrush designed for infants, as the bristles tend to be softer. As you scrub, pay special attention to the hard-to-reach spots.
- Rinse your ring with water and dry it completely.
If you still find dirt and grime on your ring after scrubbing it with soap and water, it may be advantageous to use a commercial jewelry cleaning product.
That said, only select cleaning products that don’t contain harmful chemicals, such as ammonia and bleach. While these chemicals are effective at cleaning surfaces, they may diminish your ring’s luster.
Clean Your Moissanite Ring With Baking Soda and Vinegar
Cleaning moissanite jewelry can sometimes require more than soap and water. You can also use the bubbling power of baking soda and vinegar to dislodge stubborn dirt and grime.
To clean your moissanite this way, follow these steps:
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda to a small bowl.
- Pour a half cup of white wine vinegar into the bowl. When the vinegar hits the baking soda, a chemical reaction will occur, causing the mixture to bubble.
- Make sure the baking soda is completely dissolved by whisking the mixture with a fork.
- Soak your moissanite ring in the mixture for two hours. Do not scrub your ring while in the mixture, as the baking soda can scratch your gem or its setting.
- Rinse your ring with cold water and allow it to air dry in a safe place.
Polish Your Ring with Ketchup
Surprisingly, your beloved condiment does more than enhance the flavor of fries—it can effectively clean your moissanite ring. This is due to the acidity found in tomatoes and vinegar, which helps break down stubborn buildup.
To clean with ketchup, just follow these steps:
- Place a tablespoon or two of the condiment in a small bowl.
- Soak the ring in the ketchup until it’s fully covered.
- Lastly, gently scrub the ring with a soft toothbrush and rinse it under cold water.
2. Bring Your Moissanite Ring to an Expert
Cleaning your ring at home at least once a month is a fantastic way to keep your gem in tip-top shape. But to truly preserve your gem for posterity, it’s a good idea to take it to a professional jewelry cleaner at least once a year. Professional jewelry cleaners are masters of meticulous moissanite cleaning. They can turn your moissanite ring from grungy to glamorous in no time at all.
Their secret? Ultrasonic jewelry machines. Ultrasonic jewelry machines are machines that emit high-frequency vibrations to remove stuck-on dirt, grease and grime. While these machines are inexpensive, using them at home can have mixed results and risk damaging your ring. Meanwhile, professionals tend to have state-of-the-art machines and the expertise to use them properly. They also have the tools and knowledge to take your moissanite ring cleaning to the next level.
3 Properly Store Your Moissanite (And Other Jewelry)
Properly storing your moissanite ring is just as important as cleaning it regularly. After all, what’s the point of scrubbing your ring if improper storage subjects it to dirt, dust, and humidity?
Correctly storing your ring helps to avoid the following issues.
- Exposure to the elements – Prolonged exposure to light and heat can seriously damage jewelry. For this reason, it’s important to keep your moissanite ring in a cool, dark location, such as a closet. Likewise, don’t keep your ring near a window or in the bathroom. The former can expose your ring to too much sunlight, while the latter can expose it to humidity.
- Misplacement – If you’ve ever spent hours getting ready for a special occasion, you know how dismaying it can be to lose that finishing touch—your favorite piece of jewelry—minutes before you step out the door. By properly storing your moissanite ring, you’ll always know exactly where it is.
- Damage to and from other jewelry – While few other substances can scratch moissanite, a few can—most notably, natural diamonds. Properly storing moissanite means keeping it away from other stones and materials that can cause damage. Conversely, keeping moissanite away from softer gems such as topaz and emerald can help prevent damage to those stones.
How to Properly Store Your Moissanite Ring?
Now that you know the importance of properly storing your sparkling-clean moissanite, you’ll need to decide where to keep it. Here are a few storage ideas for inspiration:
- Store it in a partitioned jewelry box – A partitioned jewelry box keeps your moissanite ring and other jewelry in a safe, secure location. The best jewelry boxes are lined with soft fabrics like linen. They should also have enough trays to separate your jewelry into different types—from moissanite rings to sapphire necklaces.
- Keep it safe (in a safe) – Safes are perfect for storing your jewelry and other valuables. What’s more, they’re virtually indestructible, giving you peace of mind that your moissanite jewelry is out of harm’s way. You can even add partitioned trays to your safe to keep your valuables separate.
- Hang it on your wall – Hanging your jewelry on the wall keeps your jewelry in one place while adding a decorative touch to your home. This storage method is also perfect for homes with minimal storage space. That said, choose a wall that doesn’t come in contact with direct sunlight or moisture. Walk-in closets are ideal for hanging jewelry organizers.
4. Know When to Take Off Your Moissanite Jewelry
Understanding how to clean moissanite rings—and keep them clean—also means knowing when not to wear your ring in the first place. After all, wearing your ring only in the right conditions can help to defend against later stains and damages. This can make cleaning your ring much easier down the road.
To keep your moissanite ring bright with unmatched brilliance, consider taking off your ring during the following activities and situations:
- During strenuous exercise – If you’re engaging in light exercises, such as brisk walking or easy yoga, wearing your moissanite ring may give a little extra shine to your workout. However, if you’re pumping iron, running laps, or shooting hoops on the neighborhood court, taking off your moissanite ring can prevent damage and grime from scratches or sweat.
- When swimming – Whether you’re taking a dip in the pool or training for the Olympics, removing your moissanite ring before swimming can help you save your ring for more dazzling occasions—like when you stand victorious atop the podium. That’s because chlorine can harm some gemstones—especially colored gemstones. Saltwater can also harm jewelry. Unless you want your moissanite to look like buried treasure, it’s best to keep your ring out of the ocean.
- When cleaning or doing yard work – Because common cleaning supplies may contain some harmful chemicals, remove your moissanite ring before scrubbing your home. What’s more, avoid wearing your moissanite while doing yard work. Some chemicals in fertilizers can harm jewelry, and you definitely don’t want to lose your ring while mowing the lawn.
- While exposed to light and heat – While the sun’s glow might look extra enchanting when reflecting off your ring, prolonged exposure to heat and light can damage and darken nearly any gem. It’s best to take off your ring if you’re soaking up the sun’s rays.
By caring for your ring and keeping it safe, you’ll not only maintain that pristine sparkle that caught your eye in the first place—but you’ll also be able to reduce the professional cleanings it needs and ensure the longevity of your gem for years to come.
Find Your Next Ring at Diamond Nexus
Cleaning your moissanite ring is the best way to keep the piece shining for generations. By knowing how to care for your jewelry—from cleaning it often to properly storing it—you can ensure your star piece of jewelry never fades.
To ensure your next show-stopping stone is guaranteed not to chip, scratch or discolor, consider selecting a Nexus Diamond™ alternative. Our diamond alternatives imitate the look and feel of a perfect mined diamond, at a fraction of the cost. If you’re in doubt, be sure to compare the different alternatives like white sapphire vs moissanite stone or moissanite vs cubic zirconia and more to help you decide.
Browse our selection of diamond alternatives today to find the next highlight of your jewelry collection.
GIA. Synthetic Moissanite: A New Diamond Substitute. https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/winter-1997-synthetic-moissanite-nassau
The Huffington Post. How To Clean Your Jewelry With Ketchup, Plus More Surprising Bling-Brightening Hacks. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jewelry-cleaning-hacks-clean-with-ketchup-vodka_n_7458648