In more recent years, some men are choosing to wear engagement rings for reasons ranging from the symbolism of the commitment of marriage to equality in the relationship and more. Whether they decide to wait until the wedding ceremony or wear the ring beforehand is a personal preference. Having said that, there are varying reasons why men might choose to wear an engagement ring. In the world of fashion, apparel and traditional or simulated diamond jewelry, trends are constantly evolving – and those trends certainly affect the styles of the bride and groom-to-be far beyond what’s touted on the runways. Although it’s been a historical tradition for women to receive an engagement ring once a man has proposed, current cultural norms have changed in recent decades, and with these changes, new traditions have evolved – including engagement rings designed specifically for a man to wear on his ring finger.
Whether symbolizing a union between a man and a woman or partners of the same gender, different types of engagement rings ultimately represent the beginning of a lifelong commitment or promise between two individuals. In this article, we’ll explore one of the more recent trends in wedding jewelry – engagement rings for men – and address the question many people have been asking: do guys wear engagement rings? Read on for more interesting details – the answers may surprise you!
When Does A Man Wear An Engagement Ring?
While most people associate diamond engagement rings with a guy getting down on one knee and proposing to his lady, this scenario is gradually becoming an antiquated stereotype. In fact, there have been articles that showcase a handful of young couples (most of them in their late 20s and early 30s) where both the man and the woman have decided to sport engagement rings on their left ring finger. As one enthusiastic man explains, “I didn’t feel like my wife should be the only one who got to show off that she was getting married. I was just as engaged as she was but I didn’t have a symbol for that.”Furthermore, the popular wedding magazine, The Knot, featured a survey several years ago that showed 5% of newly-engaged men are showing off their “taken” status by wearing engagement rings. This trend has taken off within the jewelry industry, where some jewelers are marketing engagement rings created exclusively for men. There have also been quite a few male celebrities in recent years, including Charlie Sheen and Johnny Depp who may have helped to popularize the trend, in addition to same-sex marriages featured on such hit shows as “Modern Family” and “Will & Grace.”
According to an article in Psychology Today, another factor in the male engagement ring trend: women’s increased earning power. Essentially, the article explains that women’s higher salaries are “changing the gendered financial norms of courtship, updating expectations regarding the one-way gift of an expensive ring.” Ultimately, it seems that across the line – whether observing the trends within heterosexual or same-sex partnerships – more and more men are showing interest in engagement rings for themselves.
Reasons men explain why they choose to wear an engagement ring:
- Whether it be for the commitment, or to follow a trend, there are various reasons why men choose to wear an engagement ring. Below we’ve highlighted just a few reasons why men wear engagement rings:
- Fashion: Quite simply, some guys enjoy showing off a special piece of jewelry as much as their fiancé – and as one man explained in the aforementioned HuffPost article, “I decided to wear one because why do women get to wear the cool jewelry and we don’t until marriage?” Men’s rings have been growing in popularity in recent years, so having the commitment of an engagement is a great reason to fashionably show off your commitment to your partner. From precious metals to gemstone rings, men are choosing to show off their unique styles with their engagement rings.
- Commitment: Many couples feel that it’s not only the woman who should have a ring to symbolize she’s “taken” – men also want to signify they are “off the market” and spoken for, and wearing an engagement ring is the ideal way to let the world know.
- Symbolism: Although it may not align with traditions of past centuries, the engagement ring is still grounded in history – and its symbolism is certainly not lost, even on young men of today. As another HuffPost interviewee explained, “I think this relationship that we’ve poured so much into is something to be proud of and something to be excited about. This is a little symbol of that.”
- Equality: Other partners like the idea of representing their dedication to one another – and consider each other equals. In some instances, they may even decide to propose to one another on two separate occasions. So it makes perfect sense for each of them to wear an engagement ring representative of their equality to each other and within their relationship.
- Breaking With Tradition: Some future spouses love the idea of doing away with traditions – and creating their own moment. Many modern couples believe that since marriage is a two-way street, it typically makes sense that both partners should be able to elaborate their impending nuptials proudly in the form of dual engagement rings. The most popular engagement ring styles as well as best time to buy an engagement ring, are now considerations for both men and women.
- Representing A Unique Bond: Some partners feel they have a very special connection between them – and want to represent that exclusivity through a meaningful piece of jewelry, even before they exchange their vows. An engagement ring for both partners provides a tangible way to display that unbreakable bond; in this case, the beginning of a partnership that’s meant to be.
From a romantic symbol of everlasting love to a fashion statement, it’s clear that there are many men who are just as excited to wear an engagement ring as their female (or male) partners. Whether you’re looking for diamond engagement rings or the top engagement rings of all time, there are now many options for men’s custom engagement rings in stainless steel, gold or other precious metals to suit every taste, style and budget.
Same-Sex Marriage: Diamond Engagement Rings For Men
As we’ve discussed, engagement traditions have evolved dramatically in the past few decades, and the legalization of same-sex marriage in many countries (including the United States) has created a demand for engagement rings for gay couples who are planning to get married. Consequently, jewelers are catering to this niche, as research has shown that some gay men prefer to wear the same style of diamond engagement ring that was once worn exclusively by women.
Fortunately, the jewelry industry has taken note of this trend and includes a variety of designs suitable for men who wish to sport engagement rings – with or without diamonds, crafted of a variety of different metals, representing traditional and modern styles, and featuring custom details. No matter what your personal aesthetic may be, Diamond Nexus is sure to have an engagement ring style that perfectly captures your individual love story. We also carry ring sets as well as men’s wedding rings to commemorate your special day – whether it’s a private ceremony or a lavish celebration, your rings are sure to be center stage long after your vows have been exchanged.
How To Choose A Man’s Engagement Ring: Helpful Tips
Once you’ve decided upon purchasing an engagement ring for the special man in your life, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind when you are ready to go shopping. Here are three tips to consider for choosing the perfect men’s engagement ring:
- Keep A Budget: As any big-ticket item would have it, men’s engagement rings and wedding bands can vary quite a bit in price. Depending on the type of design, ring material, or if it features a diamond/precious gem (or other similar customized detail), it can run from somewhere in the hundreds to the thousands. This is where choosing a diamond simulant—like the Nexus Diamond™ alternative—can help bring costs down. Therefore, it’s important to set your budget from the beginning to ensure you select a ring that you can comfortably afford – and dazzle your hubby-to-be.
- Keep His Lifestyle & Taste In Mind: Just as there are no two people that are alike, your ring should be as unique as your special guy. When thinking about what type of ring to purchase for your future husband, consider his personal aesthetic – is he more of a sporty guy, a rocker, white-collar, or a nature lover? You’ll also want to think about his lifestyle – does he enjoy weekends fishing in jeans and flannels, or are you more apt to find him at the theater catching a Broadway show in a suit? Remember his level of maintenance. Will he want to research on “how to clean your engagement ring” or prefer a less maintenanced route? Depending on these factors, it’s easier to determine if he’ll prefer a simple traditional gold band, something sleek and contemporary in platinum, or maybe a ring that’s a bit flashier with colors featuring a solitaire diamond or his birthstone.
- Another thing to keep in mind is his line of employment: for men who work with their hands all day (such as an auto repairman or a carpenter), a simple ring without any raised stones or details that could potentially snag or get caught on things may be the safest choice. In addition, some men prefer rings made of very durable metals – such as titanium, tungsten carbide or a stainless steel metal – so you may wish to discuss your partner-to-be’s preferences when it comes to selecting the most appropriate design and materials for his engagement ring.
- Choose The Ring That Best Says “I Love You”: Last but not least, you’ll want to choose an engagement ring for your man that truly captures all the ways you feel about one another – and that could mean many things. Some couples prefer to engrave a meaningful date inside their respective engagement rings or wedding bands, while others may design a custom men’s wedding band to reflect the groom’s one-of-a-kind style. Whatever it is that signifies your union, finding a ring that’s just right for your future husband is much easier once you’ve identified his personal preferences. But ultimately, it’s what the ring signifies – your commitment to each other, the love you share, and the life you’re about to embark upon together – that means the most. When you find the perfect ring for him, you’ll know in a heartbeat.
1 Borresen, Kelsey. “Why These Men Bucked Tradition And Wore An Engagement Ring.” Huffpost.com, May 3, 2018,https://www.huffpost.com/entry/men-who-wear-engagement-rings_n_5ae8a09ee4b055fd7fd020b3. Accessed November 21, 2019.
2 Miller-Wilson, Kate. “How to Pick the Perfect Men’s Engagement Ring.” Love To Know.com, (no publish date), https://engagementrings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Men’s_Engagement_Rings.. Accessed November 21, 2019.
3 Oelze, Patricia. “Do Men Wear Engagement Rings?” Better Help.com, January 25, 2019, https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/marriage/do-men-wear-engagement-rings/. Accessed November 21, 2019.
*Here at Diamond Nexus, we strive to provide valuable information while being clear and honest about our products. The Nexus Diamond™ alternative is a patented lab created diamond simulate that, among all simulants, most closely imitates the look, weight and wear of a diamond, with two exceptions – it is absolutely perfect in every way, and it costs significantly less. Price points and environmental facts expressed in this blog were taken from popular online retailers and may vary. Learn more about the environmental impact of mining by visiting our blog.